THE STEPHEN GOWER BLOG
Around age 60, you begin to notice “as I have noticed” that:
1. Friends can become family.
2. Wherever you go, you take you with you.
3. Happiness is defined by circumstance – still, so, joy defies circumstance – more so.
4. Where Christmas morning use to take forever to arrive, Christmas now seems to come overnight.
5. Energy management becomes more important than time management.
6. Getting out of bed, in the morning, is hard to do. Staying awake seems more important than going to sleep.
7. It is fine to learn to remember – it is not so fine when remembering diminishes or destroys learning,
8. A detour sign can become a stop and stay sign – exposing a stubborn excuse.
9. A detour sign can equal a go and grow sign – showcasing the pursuit that equals a robust and reachable solution.
10. The capacity to receive can equal a grand gift.
11. Mind exercise is just as important as a body exercise.
12. Words still matter, words can hurt.
13. Day-lilies and Hellebores become more beautiful.
14. Tomato sandwiches become more tasty.
15. Humor can be helpful. You are your best source for humor.
16. Driving gently with one’s self is essential.
17. Dispensing slack toward others is also essential.
18. As to stuff, acquisition becomes less important. Release becomes more important.
19. Rich is not the goal, as much as enrich.
20. Gratitude becomes initiative rather than closure.
21. Significance is not the finish line – significance is the start.
22. Attitude is important but is not everything.
23. Experience is a stellar teacher.
24. Doing does not define being. Being fines doing, not to end itself, but to extend itself – to become more of itself.
25. Growth will slip and trip – only to rise to there – go to there – grow to there – where being becomes beyond.
26. Age limit is an illusion.
27. Presence is more important than presents.
28. Assumption and generalization are dangerous.
29. Granddaddy and grandmother are wonderful sounds.
30. Saying something over and over again, is not so bad.
ABOUT STEPHEN GOWER
Stephen is the best-selling author of 26 books, including What Do They See When They See You Coming? He has also written countless articles for a variety of publications and has produced multiple audio books and video programs. He has appeared on PBS Television and XM Sirius Satellite Radio. He continues to hold one of the highest invite-back ratios in the speaking profession.